The challenge contains a list of 100 different themes which are located on the tool bar to the right. Over time I’ll create a piece of art based
on each theme and blog about it. The goal is to keep me motivated about expanding as artist and to have fun doing it!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

# 75 Mirror


First of all, I'm highly annoyed that my camera refused to take a picture of the piece without some type of glare. Oh well that’s what I get for using chrome nail polish as paint…

This is actually a painting / drawing / collage /…. whatever you want to categorize it that I made my senior year of high school but as it is one of my favorites I really wanted to incorporate it into my challenge. The way I see it I think it fits the theme pretty well. The middle is meant to be a shattered mirror. Anyway I seems like the majority of the time girls (particularly teenage girls) lack the ability to stare at themselves in the mirror and believe 100% that they truly are beautiful. Therefore they hide themselves under layers of makeup that in the end fail to hide their own insecurities.

Materials necessary for this piece:
1.   Cardboard – dissected to expose the inner ripples and recycles pieces collaged into the mirror frame
2.   3 bottles of Chrome nail polish – particularly my favorite 2 shades pink and blood red and the dark fleshy color to resemble foundation makeup
3.   Prisma  Pencils – to draw girl gazing into the mirror and other minor touch ups
4.   1 powder plush – yes it’s used…
5.   CD – the broken mirror pieces are actually cut and peeled off of the shiny side of a used CD
6.   Oil pastels – used to color the hand holding a mascara wand

Back in the day when I believed I was bound for a private art school, I went to a portfolio day in Kansas City to meet with 20+ top art colleges in the nation. One recruiter told me that if I brought nothing in my portfolio but this one art piece alone he would offer me a $2000.00 scholarship just for seeing this one. Hmmmmmm.... if only I could sell it for that much, ah wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment